CORNWALL DESIGN FAIR 2016
Dates of event: Friday 16 to Sunday 18 August 2015
Event Venue: Trereife House, Newlyn, Penzance, TR20 8TJ
Deadline for applications: 31 March 2016
APPLICATION AVAILABLE AT www.cornwalldesignfair.co.uk
Background of event
The Cornwall Design Fair has come out of the Design Fairs that were first run by Hidden Art Cornwall.
Hidden Art Cornwall ran its first Design Fair in 2006 with 65 designer-makers, with an exhibition of selected work inside Godolphin House, itself called Hidden Art Curated, as well as design-led entertainment for families.
Cornwall Design Fair
In 2009 the first Cornwall Design Fair in association with Hidden Art took place successfully at Trereife Park with 51 designer-makers. In 2012 Hidden Art lost its funding and the Cornwall Design Fair ran independently with 76 designer-makers booking in and attracting just under 4,000 visitors, including the private view. Here are a few comments from exhibitors from the past years:
“I received lots of feedback and as it was my first big fair I feel it has given me confidence to apply for more”, “Just a quick note to say thank you for organising the Design Fair so well. It ran so smoothly and was really fun. Kate, you made it a lot less stressful than I thought it was going to be and I know it’s always good to get feedback after an event”, “Good for networking with other designer makers. A really enjoyable event and well worth the effort which goes into the preparation for it”, “It’s helped me into an area of the country I’ve not sold in before. Prestige of being selected for/appearing at the event”,
“Excellent event – well done, a lot of hard work obviously went into it”, “Great atmosphere, really enjoyed the venue and feel very positive about the contacts made at the event”, “My best Hidden Art/Cornwall event”, “On par with Country Living event held at Hampton Court”.
2016 sees the return of this prestigious event to Trereife. The location has the benefit of direct access from the busy A30 Land’s End road and is situated just one mile west of Penzance.
Trereife House has been the home of the Le Grice family since 1798. The site has been identified by the name from as early as 1201. The name originates from the Cornish for a farmstead in the original ownership or the original settler of the homestead of Eruf. Architecturally, this is one of the most interesting houses in Cornwall, being a fine and typical example of the houses in the beginning of the 18th century. The house is listed Grade II with the stables and adjoining walled gardens. See www.trereifepark.co.uk for more information.
Designer-makers can apply for an individual space in large clear span marquees, sited in the grounds of Trereife House. The marquees will have matted flooring. A standard, white shell scheme, as well as individual lighting (2 spots) and name signs will be provided. You also have the option of a basic table, and hiring a plug socket and/or fan. (Please note the table will need covering as it will be a standard catering table). There will be an additional charge for hiring plug sockets and fans, and you should complete and email us the attached form or send it directly to the electricity contractor.
- The majority of spaces will be approximately 1.5m x 2.5m. There will be a few larger spaces available for those making large work such as furniture.
- It is also possible for anyone making furniture or products for outdoors to have an exterior space by providing their own gazebo.
- There will be a limited number of ‘shared’ stands set aside for Cornwall-based Designers who have been in business for less than 18 months.
- Designers can request non standard space within the main exhibition marquees which may be accepted subject to available space.
- Showcase space is also available. These are typically 3x3m (larger space upon request) and do not come with shell panels. Showcase areas are for non selling activities and are open for organizations/exhibitors to design and build their own area/look.
- The event power supply is fed from a generator, not a mains supply.
This is an outdoor/temporary structure event and we cannot be liable for any compensation due to power failure or water damage due to severe weather conditions.
Please note: interior dimensions will be approximately 5cm shorter in width than the overall stand dimensions to take into account the thickness of the shell scheme.
All spaces (except outdoors and showcase) will have a white shell scheme, which will consist of a back and two side walls. It will be possible to hang things from these walls, but you will need to hang from picture or S hooks, or hang your own boards from S hooks and attach work to these. You will be allowed to drill or screw into the shell scheme walls but not to glue or paint anything on the walls.
You can screw, nail, or use Velcro or sticky pads but no glue or drilling.
The shell scheme walls will extend 1.5m on each side of every stand. The floor space of your stand will extend to 1.5m to create a more open outlook along walkways. If you need the walls of your stand to extend to 2m please contact us to discuss your specific requirements.
The Fair will be continuing to develop its very popular craft workshops. Please let us know if you are interested in becoming involved as it has proven a great way of promoting designers’ work. There will also be craft demonstrations, as well as children’s activities and musical performances, storytelling and a local produce food and drink market area.
The 2016 show will be commissioning a site art team to create site specific installations throughout the grounds.
Accommodation & Camping
Please contact us for a local B&B and hotel accommodation list of favorable rates as well as the luxurious accommodation within the house. www.trereifepark.co.uk
There will also be a campsite alongside the show area at £20 for the weekend including toilet and shower facilities. Breakfast will be available at Trereife’s Courtyard Café.
‘ LIKE’ our facebook page!
The Curated Design at Trereife
This part of the Cornwall Design Fair is selective and is free to participate in if you are exhibiting in the main marquees. Pieces of work will be chosen to be exhibited within Trereife House to complement the rooms in which they will be exhibited. If you are interested in exhibiting a new piece of work, please contact email@example.com
The deadline for entries is 30 June 2016.
Each exhibitor will be asked to curate in the house for a set period each day. Exhibitors will have a separate feature about their work in the show brochure.
Event opening hours
Thursday 15 September; 6pm-8pm (Private View)
Friday 16 September 10am-5pm
Saturday 17 September: 10am-5pm
Sunday 18 September: 10am-4pm
Setting up and taking down times for exhibitors
- Set up: Thursday 15 September: 9am-5pm (It is advisable to make an early start to be ready for the Private View at 6pm)
- Take down: Sunday 18 September: 4pm-8pm
- The site will be open for exhibitors from 9am on the morning of each open day, to provide access for any re-stocking etc but all vehicles must be removed by 9.30am at the latest.
- It is also essential that no-one packs up before 4pm on the final day. Empty stands do not give a good impression for any visitors still at the event.
There will be a private view on Thursday 15 September from 6-8pm. Trereife’s Courtyard Café, which is licensed, will have a menu for the occasion as well as light refreshments. Invites will be sent to each exhibitor for you to invite your chosen guests. This is set up as a selling/networking opportunity for you so please prioritise your invites to be sent out to your clients/industry/trade.
This is set up as a selling/networking opportunity for you so please prioritise your invites to be sent out to your clients/industry/trade.
There will also be musical entertainment for the evening. Trereife will provide a pay bar for the evening, however, it is down to designers to provide complimentary drinks and glasses for their clients.
All exhibitors have to be on their stands for the duration of the event. It is your responsibility to ensure that if you cannot be there that you provide cover, as no one else will take responsibility for selling your work. We also have a mobile card machine so exhibitors do not have to leave their stands to go to a pay point.
Deadline for applications
The final deadline for all applications is 31 March. No applications will be accepted after this date.
- The cost of a shared stand for ‘New Designers’ 1.5 x 1.5m is £135
- The cost of a standard stand of 1.5m x 2.5m is £275
- The cost of a medium stand of 1.5m x 3m (4.5sqm) is £340
- The cost of a large stand of 1.5m x 4m or 2m x 3m (6sqm) is £385
- Non standard space – by negotiation
- Gazebo space £275
- It is possible to participate in Curated Design only. Price on application.
What your fee includes
- Space of approx 3.75sqm for the standard stand sizes
- 2 spotlights and opportunity to hire plug socket or additional lighting if required
- A shell scheme and flooring (not curated/gazebos/showcase areas)
- A standard catering table approx 180cm x 75cm if required
- A sign with your name or company name
- Credit card payment machine facilities (5% commission will be charged on credit card sales, covering the cost of transactions fees and admin)
- Please invoice us less commission after then event. We will make payment within 28 days of invoice.
- An allocation of leaflets, posters and free tickets for the private view to send out to your mailing list
- Website and social media
- Dedicated Design Fair website. www.cornwalldesignfair.co.uk
- Social media marketing. Promotion across Facebook and Twitter
- Your contact details and one image in the event brochure. This will be given to all visitors at the event
ONLINE APPLICATION AVAILABLE AT www.cornwalldesignfair.co.uk
Please enter all information carefully on the separate application form. What you enter will be used for all publicity material and the exhibitor list.
Please supply 3-6 images with your application form. These images may be used for publicity for the Design Fair. Please note that the better quality your images the more likely they will be chosen for use in the PR campaign and publicity material.
Images should be digital, sent on a CD at high-resolution (as jpegs, minimum 300dpi, 15cm across).
What happens next?
Once we have received your form and payment we will process your application. A selection panel will look at the application to ensure quality of work and if any category is over subscribed there will be a further selection process. You will receive notification by 16 April 2016.
On acceptance of your application a stand will be allocated to you.
This is a final decision, due to the number of applications we cannot discuss unsuccessful applications. However, we may contact you again if we have a cancellation in your discipline.
Cheques from unsuccessful applicants will be shredded.
Please supply us with account info If you made a bank transfer.
Remember that most information sent out about the event is sent via e-mail so please check your account regularly. If it is not possible for you to receive information via e-mail, please let us know.
If you have general queries relating to the event or your application, please contact:
firstname.lastname@example.org, or Rob Lewis on 07968 818664.
Completed paper applications and CD of images
Please post to:
Cornwall Design Fair, Carn Brea, 15a Morrab Place, Penzance, Cornwall, TR18 4DG.
The deadline for all applications is: 31 March 2016.
ONLINE APPLICATION AVAILABLE AT